Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Rats' beat reporter cut loose from Daily Gazette

Sports writer Phil Janack, who covered the River Rats for the Schenectady Daily Gazette for well over a decade, has been "cut loose" by the newspaper.

The now former beat reporter for the Rats posted a note late Sunday on the Hurricanes' message board informing folks of his departure.

In Phil's own words:
"Just wanted to let everyone know that I have been cut loose by the Gazette as of Sept. 18. The move came as quite a shock to myself and my colleagues, both at the paper and in the business. It has been my extreme pleasure to cover the Albany River Rats and the AHL for the past 16 years, and I want to thank everyone who followed the trials and tribulations of their future NHLers, both in print and on-line. Because of you, my former blog, Phil-ing in the Blanks, won third place in New York state, an awards ceremony I was supposed to attend on the 24th. In any case, thanks again and I hope to be back on my feet soon, whether at another news organization or a personal blog. It has been fun."
The Gazette today confirmed by phone that Janack had been let go. No word on his replacement.